Search This Blog

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Emory: our birth story Part 2

March 2 was the most amazing day of my life. My little girl made her grand entrance Into this crazy world.

The first time I held her and looked in her eyes ( because she was very much awake when they handed her to me) were some of the most amazing moments.

The next day my mom brought my little man up to visit and although he was a little skeptical at first he couldn't love her anymore. He wanted to hold her and kiss all over her! Makes me one proud mommy!

So everything is perfect and we get discharged from the hospital on Monday afternoon. Baby is healthy and I am doing well...

Monday night and Emory sleeps ALL night. Although I was super excited it worried me a little. But she had a dr appointment early Tuesday morning so I would just tell her then. At the dr her weight is down to 6 lbs 8 oz from her original 7 lbs 5 oz. and they want the lab to re check her bilirubin count because she is looking a little more yellow.

So we get the lab work done and head home to rest.at this point she had not really eaten all day and I was really concerned. She hasn't had a wet diaper in 12 hours and I was nervous!

After a couple of hours the phone rings and I never imagined how my world would be shaken by that one phone call.

Her jaundice was up but that wasn't her main concern. Emory's sodium level was elevated and if it got any higher her brain could begin bleeding internally!!! WHAT!!!! I was gone right then I didn't hear much else of the conversation.. I remember asking how we could get it down and what would fix this and she said the only thing that could fix it would be to get her to eat quickly and a lot! So she asked me to try formula and if she hasn't eaten in the next two hours to take her straight to the ER.

I am a wreck! The bf is asleep but I couldn't get off the couch to wake him up. I called my mom and before I could say hello I was sobbing so uncontrollably she didn't know what had happened. She kept asking me to put Emory's daddy on the phone and I couldn't manage to tell her that he didn't even know yet. She knew that I was waiting on a call from the pediatrician and has a friend that works there so she called her to find out what was going on. After the nurse explained everything to her my mom shows up at my house and tries to help me wake Emory to eat. But she will not budge. Nothing will wake this child and I am scared to death.

The bf is now awake and trying to console me and wake her but its not working so we load in the car and head to children's hospital. They admit her and put her on an IV and under the jaundice lights.

The next 24 hours were the hardest and most painful hours of our lives.

They had put the IV in her head because it was the best vein and they said she wouldn't mess with it...apparently they don't know my daughter! Within the first 5 hours she reaches her hand up to her head and rips out the IV. Blood is going everywhere and I am in full on panic mode. Emory is screaming and so am I! The doctor runs in and gets her head fixed up while I am sobbing in the bathroom.

And that is just the beginning of our 4 day stay in the hospital!



No comments:

Post a Comment